Monday, February 6, 2012

Mighty Counselor

“He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace”! (Isaiah 9:6).


As I go about my life, God keeps teaching me new aspects about Him. I am a horse trainer, and every once in a while I find something new I want to teach my horses so I introduce it to them. It keeps them on their toes, and focused on me, taking away the opportunity to get bored and lethargic on me. It seems that God enjoys doing the same thing to me. Just when I think I've figured out what He is telling me about Himself, He adds a new exciting twist. It also keeps me on my toes and seeking Him! What a blessing! I don't know that I will ever figure Him all out, until I can sit at His feet in heaven, but I would like to share one thing He has shown me recently. Did you know that in the bible there are over 180 names used for God! You can view most of them at http://smilegodlovesyou.org/names.html . Each one is unique and powerful, but the one I would like to talk about is Mighty Counselor.

A few weeks ago a minister read the verse on top during a sermon and it really stood out to me. It probable stood out to me a little more because I feel led to be a counselor to young men. But anyhow it really opens up a lot of understanding to how God teaches us.

I love to sit across from the table from someone and just talk about them, get to know them, really know them. And although I don't like it that they have problems, I really cherish it when they share them with me. I get quite the picture of God when I view it from that perspective, as a counselor. The difference is that He always has the correct answers! He is the Mighty Counselor, without failing. Sometimes I might be indifferent (unknowingly) He always loves and cares. Sometimes I can only be empathetic, I haven't gone through it all. He can always be sympathetic, He was temped in all ways as we were. “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin.” (Hebrews 4:15). As a matter of fact, any christian counselor can only tell you what God already has taught them! He is the one with the wisdom, they just get it from Him!

I don't know that there is anything above that can really change the way you do things, but I found it really encouraging to see that side of God. I hope it makes you love Him more. God bless!

0 comments: